Thursday, April 26, 2012

Learning the Cheat Codes

After two hours of Una Familia Con Suerte, my attention span is
slipping. I can't understand a word of it. Now that I know that it's a comedy it makes sense as to why the facial expressions are quirky and there are odd sound effects like whipping sound every time the stupid "Bad Boy" opens his napkin. I know, really? But aside from that, I can't figure out the plot. So, I'm trying a trick.

Settings=>CC=>Spanish

I'm studying words that would typically come up in a telenovela. Words like Amor, Amante (Lover), Luchar(To Fight), Corazon, Culpa(To Blame), Lo Siento, Olvidar(To Forget), Mira, Mortir(To Die), Matar(To Kill), and I think llorar is to cry and oder is to hate.

I've always tried out memorization and reading on the side, but I can't hear the words for the life of me. Mainly because of the many, many ways that they could be conjugated and used in idioms. The Spanish subtitles are fixing that. It's a Feels-Like-Cheating thing but it's really not in the bigger picture. If the subtitles were in English, then it wouldn't be helping me in anyway.

I'm able to write down words that I see repeated but I don't know what they mean. I look them up and try watching the episode again until I can figure out with the new context clues what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment