Sunday, April 29, 2012

Don't Go Around Saying Cowabunga Either

Learning the Characters of Class

I'm picking up on the speech patterns depending on their class. Pina is a very rich high class comedy character who adds an 's' or 'sh' to her terms of endearment. For example, "mi amors" and "hermosho". On the other end, there's the Lopez family who calls each other "carnal" and they use "chido" for the word cool. "No manches" is the running joke of the father character, Pancho Lopez.
>
I am under strict orders to never use these words unless I want to sound either like I'm trying to hard or simply like an idiot. Saying "no manches" would be as if I went around and said "cowabunga" or "rad" to people. I'm more careful to figure out if words belong in the Urban dictionary or if it's not slang.






One last new thing for today is youtube. Looking up interviews from people on how they became fluent in Spanish as an adult when English is their first language. Once again, it's not really cheating, just looking up eveyone else's answers. Write down ideas and books that sound appealing to you and see if you can find used copies from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment