Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ineffective Programs that Rhyme with Herietta Pone

Accountability is key when it comes to fluency. I'm a gamer to the extent that I enjoy games that provide instant gratification in the forms of positive reinforcement with added points, tracked progress and cool accessories like flying shoes or fire balls that you can spit.

Rosetta Stone costs hundreds of dollars. It also doesn't track your progress. It gives you a score when you test yourself on quizes but it doesn't compare the different tries you take. I just couldn't assign myself homework beyond a certain amount of time that I would spend with it. I took about two months seriously dedicating whole Saturdays to Rosetta Stone. No flying shoes or fire breath.  Luckily, I borrowed the set from another person who didn't use it to fluency.  No harm done though.

One quick lesson that I learned was that you Have To diversify how you're learning the language. You will get bored otherwise. Keep it new and interesting. There many things that I tried in the beginning. Things that worked, things that were stupid. Rosetta Stone was a stupid one.

No comments:

Post a Comment